Its been awhile since my last post and I’m pleased to report LOTSA progress has been made on the Silverdome trailer. Most recently I’ve begun the process of polishing the aluminum windows and I have come to this conclusion… Raising my children is a labor of love. Maintaining my highlights is a labor of love. Polishing aluminum is just plain labor and I am feeling NO love for how long this part of the project will take. My tools? Stripper in a can (not as fun as it sounds), steel wool, goo gone, bartenders friend, plastic gloves, and more steel wool. Last night I searched online for other scum removing tactics and looks like I will be adding brake cleaner to the mix in round two. I love things that sparkle just as much as the next girl but plan B? Choosing a paint scheme in which the windows are painted.
When I last checked in, I mentioned the round corners. Let’s be real, had the Silver Dome been a Silver Box, I probably would have walked away. Im mean who can resist curves like that! However, I feared the day I would have to face the rounded corners since I was pretty sure it would require needing to know the pi of something, or how to solve for “x” and math isn’t really my thing. But hey, neither is writing yet here we are! The day came to actually start cutting things and I found a non-math way to sort this out… cardboard! Yeeeees. Place cardboard under the edge of the skin at the corner and trace the curve onto a piece of cardboard and viola! A non-math template for my curvy Silver Dome.
The jig I got for Christmas last year (thanks Mary and Norman!!!) came in handy and the corner framing went really smoothly. There were a couple math situations when a piece had to be slightly different than the template but thankfully Tony was there and I just cut where I was told. Each corner required five 2” wide curved pieces. And while we were at it, nine or 10 ribs in the ceiling needed to be replaced too (if you’re counting we are at 30 pieces). So yea… I can now work a jig like nobody’s business!
With the corners in place, walls and ceiling framed and the trailer standing on its own, I couldn’t wait to put some new shoes on this girl! The rims are not as retro as I was originally planning for but I think it will look great when this humpty dumpty gets put back together again!
Finally, a huge milestone was met this weekend… the lower panels were put back onto the newly framed walls! So far it looks like only one panel is too far gone to salvage but I was referred to a shop in Ventura that carries the aluminum needed to replace the section I need. AND Tony has a plasma cutter which will cut like butter and ya’ll know how I feel about an opportunity to use new tools! The next couple weeks I’ll focus on getting the body ready for paint! Here are some ideas and feel free to cast a vote for your favorite! Thanks for sharing in the trailer love and for all the words of encouragement 🙂 xoxoxox